22 May 2006

My Moving Analogy


I was walking along the ocean one day a month or two ago, and realized that I had made the transition to my new home. It came to me as an analogy, and I thought I would share it with you.
The analogy is of how a wave on the sea correlates to my moving here to the ocean. I'll try to put it into written word, although that is not my forte. When I was finishing up culinary school, I knew that I was on the edge of something, like the wave just as it reaches the point when it starts to form. As the wave actually starts to form and heads toward the crest, that was my application process, and knowing after I sent it in that God was going to have me move here, just as the wave knows it can do nothing except become a wave. As the wave starts to crest, I see the rocks (the coastline here has lots of rocks) that represent all of the hardships I see in store with moving: loneliness, no church, no friends, no clue why I am here, no place to live etc, but like that wave, once it starts, there is no way to go but forward towards the shore. So, forward we go and crash against the rocks, knowing it will get better, but knowing it will hurt to reach that point beyond the rocks. Then, the wave washes up on the shore having gotten past the rocks (with God's amazing love, help and provision) and is home on the beach. But just as the water from the wave recedes back into the eddying waters between the beach and the rocks, so I still struggle occasionally with the gentler current of the rocks instead of the crash onto them, but I will eventually wash back onto the shore, knowing that someday I will ride the wave in again.I thought of that analogy one day as I was walking along the beach, and it was the night I realized that this new place has become home (for now anyway.)
I took this picture along one of my favorite beach walks. It would seem spell check is not working so sorry for any glaring english mistakes.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like this analogy. Good job.

3:53 PM  
Blogger L said...

Deep thought....

7:09 PM  
Blogger Dawn M said...

Thank you everyone...kind of like it myself. Feel free to use it if you like.

9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home